Located in Northeast Georgia, Elberton was incorporated on December 10, 1803. The city was first called "Elbertville" and named for General Samuel Elbert who fought in the Revolutionary War. Elberton sits near the center of Elbert County, 33 miles east of Athens and 110 miles east of Atlanta. Known as "The Granite Capital of the World", Elberton produces more granite monuments than any other city in the world. Elberton is also known for attractions including granite monuments, historic homes and architecture, beautiful lakes, historical theatre and downtown square, and the 20,000 seat Granite Bowl.