It all began on March 4th, 1960 when a group of people sat down around a coffee table to hold the first meeting of the Owyhee County Historical Society. What started with a single item on display at the county court house has led to the acquisition of the original Murphy School House in 1964. The museum has now grown to a 10,000 square foot museum complex and research library that rests on 1 acre of land. The museum highlights the history of Owyhee Counties ranching and mining history with many historic buildings around the museum which include the Marsing train depot, a 1959 UP caboose, stamp Mill and AG Annex Building.
The museum now hosts many events such as Outpost Days and Christmas tree sales. The museum offers Model T rides and tractor demonstrations to all who are willing to jump in and learn about the great history of the Owyhee County.