Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

Traveling Artists - Crafters

Gaelic Knot Studio

Gaelic Knot Studio

Sunday, May 30, 2010 01:50 pm EDT
Hi All - My daughter and I are in the prep stage to become fulltime RVer's later this year in a vitage rig, can't afford new. We are Artist/Crafters who plan to at the very least help finance our traveling lifestyle with our creations. I've been trying to find places where we could market our crafts besides the big shows and festivals since we're a bit small scale for that yet and not in a position financially to make huge investments in application/entry fees. We would like to find some smaller, more craft oriented places beyond local Flea Markets if that's possible. Personally I like the idea of open air markets, similar to Farmer's and Flea markets, but more craft oriented. There is an interesting Artisan Market in Ann Arbor, Michigan if any one is interested and coming through this area. It's Juried, but the lead time doesn't seem to be more than a few weeks. Are there other places similar to that around the country? I've been struggling to find anything and could really use some help. Basically I'm trying to find for markets where visitors are looking for something unique or handmade, not just produce, or 100 scrubby sponges for a buck. I'd like to compile a list we could all use as a reference for the future! Also if there other Fulltime RVers out there in the FNO community? I'd love to hear from you for networking. Thank you for in advance for your help - Delaney
Gaelic Knot Studio

Gaelic Knot Studio

Sunday, May 30, 2010 01:56 pm EDT
Sorry! I forgot to mention that I'm looking for markets that run monthly or weekly through at least a portion of the year. Not just once a year shows. Thanks again! - Delaney

Dee's Jewelry Designs

Sunday, May 30, 2010 04:50 pm EDT
Hi, I am a jewelry crafter doing shows in the fall/winter. I too am looking for Indiana and Michigan shows to do NOW and through summer. My question to you is could you explain "juried/non-juried". I see that a lot, but don't know what it means. Thanks. Sounds like fun what you and your daughter are doing. I wish my husband wasn't still working and we could do it too maybe. Hee, need an RV first... thanks much, Dee Indiana
Gaelic Knot Studio

Gaelic Knot Studio

Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:49 pm EDT
Hi Dee! Things can be pretty confusing and involved when you're attempting to break into the circuit. It can all get VERY expensive too! Basically Juried means that you send in photos or in some cases slides of your work so the show director or committee can see what type of things you do along with your application and the proper fees. There are often jurying fees as well. We can't expect these folks to spend all this time looking at photos without getting piad now can we? Each show generally has guidelines of what they're looking for pictures wise and will ask for pics of your work, a pic or two of you actually in some stage of creating a piece plus a picture of your booth set up. Some places will even ask to see samples before they'll decide to accept a vendor into their show. There have been a number of past incedents where some one was reselling goods they didn't actually make themselves. It's also a way for promoters to make sure they have variety in their shows. There are also very strict rules at many shows now days about acceptable booths. Almost every outdoor show that is put on by promotion companies demands professional quality white canopies with privacy walls that can be closed over night if the show goes more than one day. White allows for light flow and doesn't alter the color of items placed beneath it, basically allows for the most natural light. Thought it may just be that they all want a more trendy, unified look and are picky. I haven't quite decided on that one. They generally also demand table covers and skirts so nothing of what you have stored beneath your tables shows. I have no idea what the generally accepted upright display allowances are. There must be guidelines here some place. Check in the Promoters section. There's strict guidelines about what is accepted for inside booth set ups as well! I'm just a starving artist/crafter tired of being stuck someplace I can't make a living. Taking to the raod means we'd be able to move on when there are no jobs or the tourist season ended. I can't afford to do the big white tent shows.

Dee's Jewelry Designs

Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:22 pm EDT
Thanks much for all the info, very helpful. I have only done outside shows in small towns, not large ones by promotion companies yet. I look up online the small towns I can think of around here and ask if they have any events coming up. That is why I got on this FNO thinking it would help me, but not so far, of course I am in the Free section, but nothing yet, and I too need shows for a living. Not geting help so far. Just don't know contacts I guess. I'll keep trying though to get into some shows, each week goes by and I think one will show up! Good luck to you and your daughter, maybe we can talk later down the "road".. hee hee. thanks again, Dee (from Indiana)

Julie Patat

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:47 pm EDT
Hi, Down here in Jacksonville FL there is the Riverside Arts Market and it is thru Dec ea wk and business is good and it is juried but cost is only $38 or less if you sign up for more than a wk at a time. I don't go but my friend does- try to google it and good luck!!

[removed]

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 02:09 pm EDT
There are 3 farmers markets near me in Fort Mill, SC... Within 10 miles there are 3, Trader Marcs is the biggest one and it goes Friday, Saturday and Sunday weekly. http://tradermarcs.com/ is the website! Grace and peace to you in your travels!

SMP

Thursday, December 30, 2010 02:49 pm EST
I have an arts & crafts show in Dillard, Ga March 18, 19, 20, 2011. A small town show 3 days for $35. Thanks, Deb mtkatlady@yahoo.com
Recycled Postage Stamp Art

Recycled Postage Stamp Art

Saturday, January 1, 2011 12:01 pm EST
Go to the No White Tent website for Florida options just like you're looking for. Don't know that they're taking new applicants, but you can look at the events and members' sites there for free.