Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

How do you estimate food quantity?

Vanilla Orchid Catering

Vanilla Orchid Catering

Saturday, August 21, 2010 01:52 pm EDT
How do you estimate how much food to bring? 1/3 of the expected attendance? Thanks for any advise...
FOR SALE--Shucks and Shells-1000 COMMISSION TO WHOEVER CAN SELL THIS FOR ME

FOR SALE--Shucks and Shells-1000 COMMISSION TO WHOEVER CAN SELL THIS FOR ME

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:19 am EDT
thats what Im wondering too!
Festivalnet.Com - Asheville

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 04:45 pm EDT
I tweeted your question so I hope that helps!
Vanilla Orchid Catering

Vanilla Orchid Catering

Saturday, August 28, 2010 09:36 pm EDT
Thanks Julie, appreciate your help..
FestivalNet

FestivalNet

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 01:46 pm EDT
That is not an easy one to answer. You do not want to only look at expected attendance (and keep in mind it is often inflated) but also look at total number of other food booths and the number of items that will potentially compete with your items. If the event claims 20,000, (cut it to 12-15) and there are 10 food booths, you don't want to bring enough to serve 4,000. But if you will be one of 3 booths at a 12,000 event than OK, figure 1/3. BUT, don't plan on everyone eating one of what you have. It will be very different from event to event, the percentage of total attendees you will serve. If you cut that number in half you will be closer to what might likely happen. You will have to develop a feel for this over time as you experience different events. To use the example of a 20,000 event with 10 booths and assuming there is a good variety (not 10 booths doing the same items you are), I would go ready for 1,000 - 2,500. Any items you can take extra stock of and keep (frozen, canned, dry items...) if your event does not pan out, do that as it is better to take it home and have it for the next show than run out of stock if the event turns out to be a good one. Nothing worse than having paying customers there with money in hand and you can't sell them something! But, go lower on those highly perishable items, especially if you can go to the store and get more for day two (or three...), if you have a great first day. Worse than turning away paying customers is dumping food that has spoiled between shows, that is throwing away money you already had! Hope this helps. Good luck! Kurt

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:27 am EDT
Great reply Kurt, thanks for jumpin in!
Boondocks Delights, LLC

Boondocks Delights, LLC

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:42 pm EDT
Hi Everybody! Boondocks Delights is also a newbie and I just want to thank all of you for both the questions and the advice being dispensed in these blogs. I have found reading them to be very helpful! On estimating your food quantity, specifically with regards to your highly disposable food items such as poultry and meats, what would you guesstimate ordering/purchasing for a beginner at a smaller show of say 5000 to 8000 anticipated attendance? All advice will be greatly appreciated....