Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

Problems with promoters? and how to censure those that need it

Dad's Cook Shack

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:54 am EDT
Has anyone else about had it with untruthfull promoters? Not all of them are , and those should be applauded , but those that are should be censured. Why do vendors not rate bad promoters? Let them not make a preceived dollar amount at an event and they blame the economy, which is bad now, the weather, etc.but how much blame should the promoter accept? Lets face it some venues should never have been booked. In the past year alone I have seen attendance figures so grossly overstated that no way could they make an honest mistake. I ask how many port-o-lets they have ordered. Is the electric reliable or is it just plugs there? Its not a good sign when you pull in and first thing out of their mouth is telling you how they are having problems blowing breakers. Do they put you in a spot way away from anything? then act like you should be thankfull they even allowed you in? And then charge you the same fee that their bud's get charged,why do they all demand the full fee to be paid in advance sometimes a full year in advance? do they think their's is the only event you do in a years time? It's not uncommon to have several thousand in set up fees floating out there. I could see a deposit then the full amount in the month before the event. Isn't it time that the word gets out about these promoters that are only there to see they make money? Why do they have uncontrolled setup times and tear down times? All that mes could easily be done away with with stagered set up times, Miss your time you go to the end of the line. Promoters nowhere around once the event starts? why is that? Why do I send them photos when requested to do so if they still try to place me in either too tight a space or totally on the wrong side for my serving windows? I send photos and measurements .I pull into an event with my consession trailer worth thousands pulled by a truck worth more thousands and they think I can pay for this when because of them I make no money? Granted they can't control the weather and there are other factors that are out of their control but there are so many things GOOD promoters can control and I for one appriciate the good ones. The bad ones don't see me a second time but personally I think we as vendors need to band together and announce these types to the world and maybe we can eventually get them out of the business. Hurrah for you good ones. Let them know who they are . The bad ones, Do let them and the rest of us know who they are
Whaling City Seafood

Whaling City Seafood

Thursday, June 3, 2010 05:55 pm EDT
I recently had a promoter that assured me that there were only going to be 2 main food vendors at a music festival that would have a draw of 1500 people, the rent was high but I paid it figuring I would probably make it back. When the festival started I saw that there were 4 main vendors. Needless to say the only person making money was the vendor. That promoter was Russ Bowers at the Orange Blossom Jamboree at the Sertoma Youth Ranch

[removed]

Sunday, June 6, 2010 01:57 pm EDT
I did an event last year that almost scarred me for life and it was my event. I hired 2 promoters and will never go back again. The city was nice enough to allow me to use the fairgrounds at no cost, yet it came with a 30k one in the end. The city promoter and the one i hired didnt do anything. Needless to say for 3 days we had live music on about 40 acres (great place) and 30 people at the most. I was so stressed and embarrased that it actually made me ill. I returned the vendor fees for the few that were there because i am way to professional for that. Now we are doing 1 closer to home by fort hood on september 11th 2010 and well needless to say, im not hiring anyone. I never understood asking someone for over 150 dollars at the most for an event. I see some that are hundreds of dollars and to me that is just plain greedy. If you have to charge over 150 for a spot and you allow to many vendors that have the same thing, your not in it for the cause, your in it for the money. Us personally are more into it for the cause.

Dad's Cook Shack

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 02:17 pm EDT
I too have run into these situations and much more as well. I finally came up with some rules for myself that I stick to like good glue. I will not under any circumstances send my money to any event that does not put in writing somewhere the exact number of food vendors that they are going to allow in, not just limiting the per item number but the total number. I never apply to those that tell me or hint at a number it has to be in writing. I use a formula to help me figure if an event is even worth my time to consider and it is based upon the percentage of the number of attendees compared to the number of food vendors. I divide one # by the other then multiply by 25% ( realistic number of people I can expect to serve ) then multiply that # by an average sale and it gives me a good idea if I will make any money or not. If you can't get a straight answer from a promoter as to the number of attendees ( which to me is the most important piece of information we should include in feedback about events ) ask them how many port-o-pots they have ordered. Then call the local health department that has jurisdiction in the area of the event and ask them about their ratio of port-o-pots to attendees they require. Have you ever pulled into an event to find 1 or 2 port-o-lets on site and the event turns out to be a total bust and the crowds aren't what the promoters had told you were going to be? I have other rules but that is the biggy. If an event doesnt hold up to my rules I don't apply. I think the biggest mistake alot of people make when starting out is thinking that as long as they are doing any event they are doing well. I am here to tell you that is not the case. sometimes you are better off to stay home and not loose money rather than to throw your money to promoters that don't care. Have you even noticed when at events you ask people how they are doing and most all will say good or ok. Well watch those same people and it makes you wonder what they consider good or ok. Some people are just glad to be out doing something. But if you are doing this to make a living instead of to supplement one then you have a different set of values.