Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Gaelic Knot Studio

Gaelic Knot Studio

Saturday, July 4, 2009 01:01 pm EDT
For all the newbies, or those who have been out of the circuit a while and would love to get back in... What goes into a press kit? Is there any standard list of items promotors expect to receive when they request a "press kit' from an artist/crafter applying to a show? Just wondering! Delaney of www.GaelicKnotStudio.com
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:12 pm EDT
I don't get 'press kit' requests much from the shows I do but generally speaking they want slides, pictures or files of your work for jurying use. Rarely do I see much in the way of year to year updating of pictures used in their own press releases (flyers, brochures and website newsletters). Once they get good representative pictures they tend to use them for a long time. I have been asked for bio/ art and craft descriptives / but few are used in promotional ways. Some will do interviews or offer advertising options for inserts in local papers, which I always have results from-- and online brochures, which I do not have much in the way of statistics to draw from but do participate in. BUT, as far as a real press kit? Only really big shows probably expect them from you. I'd like to learn of the shows that expect a press kit and exactly what they expect it to contain myself. Some help here for Delaney and me...? Kathleen Neff/ inNOVAtions Studio
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 02:29 pm EDT
We used a half-page printed on card stock with our logo, name, website, email & snailmail addresses, phone number, & our scheduled events for 2009. I did it myself in Excel and printed it on Ol' Untrusty Rusty (our ancient Dell & printer). This went over well with customers, fellow vendors, and scouting promoters; and, best of all, was relatively cheap (2 or so days of "what David paid me for" and card stock from the local office supply. We also had a packet of six pictures carefully chosen to show off David, our setup, & his sticks at their collective best, along with a business card (same info as at the top of the schedule) and a single-paragraph bio introducing David & his sticks, and mentioning "prestige" (AKA juried where a prize was won, and college-affiliated shows) were we'd shown well; to mail to promoters at shows we wanted to do in the future. We were able to take our own pictures and label & print them thanks to our equally ancient & cheap Kodak simple-minded (like us!) digital camera & Kodak software on Ol' Untrusty Rusty again. Took some time, and card/photo stock wasn't necessarily the cheapest, but it was much cheaper than hiring a printing company or Kinko's! Professional? Probably not, but it served it's purpose, as we were booked (by 3/09!) all the way from 2/09-11/09, at least 2 weekends a month; before health issues intervened in 6/09 & shut us off the festival circuit until at least 2010.

[removed]

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 09:34 pm EST
Two very good examples of a "Press Kit". We use a CD with a Table of Contents listing our Artists and then a 3 minute overview of all of the artists and their work. Then you can go back to the Table of contents and look at the Artists that interest you. Our biggest expense is mailing. also we have spen some quality time preparing our FNO site (which is not yet complete) to do our selling for us.