Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

Sour grapes? I dunno . . .

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Sunday, April 19, 2009 03:42 pm EDT
Those of you who read my blogs here under lagrizzly will know our luck hasn't been the best so far this year, so the following may be because I'm in pain and unprofitable right now, but I'm tired of paying for shows with "Arts & Crafts" in their title, but have mostly resellers and commercial vendors. Evidently (in central Louisiana, any way) the term has come to mean nothing?!? Our careful handcrafted quality work cannot compete price-wise with the foreign machine-made stuff. It's really infuriating that promoters, some other vendors, and consumers have (unconsciously?) joined ranks against the artists & craftsmen. I mean, when we pay extra to enter a "juried arts & crafts show" and wind up next to someone selling resale/commercial, what do we do??? Are we the only ones that have encountered this??? Thanks for listening, any way.
Kpughdesigns

Kpughdesigns

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 07:41 am EDT
We have found this to be true in almost every show we do...it is very discouraging. We have been doing "research" watching what is selling (since ours isn't) and unfortunately while this recession is in force and before the people come to their senses, have decided to join them in a way. I have added some resell items to allow me to compete...now I was the last of the holdouts as yourself, but I do this for my sole income and am falling farther and farther behind in my committments so must do what I must do. My thing is this is awhole new world tome, so it is hard to convert my head to the merchandising. Sorry I wasn't much help, but just adding a spin on the conver.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 09:27 am EDT
I think we need some more input from members who are seeing both sides of this problem. My season really hasn't started yet so I can't 'see' what you are already experiencing, but my instinct tells me that we're going to have to pick and plan our events MUCH more carefully and since we are forced to make those comittments far in advance we need to do the search with less emotion and more reality thrown in: How far, gas mileage, lodging costs in a given area, pricing using both the TRUE COST of product AND what we know already about the buyers in the market -one profile does not fit all - then, assume the economy is impacting all of them. As for those resale items? Try interjecting a secondary line of your own. Not necessarily competing with your primary work, but competing in truth with those 'resale' items and their cost of materials, labor, intrinsic value, etc. I have always paid strict attention to who is attracted to my work and make notes of all shows BEFORE I count the receipts. Some will never build while others do. Promoters could really help with OUR economic needs by holding the line on fees (make the 'frills' optional), personalizing shows with 'spotlights'(co-op advertising options), making truly discounted lodging possible (3-day rates instead of daily-no frills), watching the mix of art and craft vs non. I would like to see the numbers from the year before more commonly included in show information (as is done at FNO) - It would benefit everyone including the promoters and the public. They could tell us if they have X # of artists or craftsmen and X # of commercial booths even before the show starts so surely it is possible before the next event...no inflated figures. We'll still have our options to enter at our own risk and being the kind of people we are, we will. And everyone with thoughts on this needs to pick up this thread of conversation and run with it!
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 01:27 pm EDT
Cumon, promoters! Chime in! Give us the other side of the coin! Cumon, other vendors! What's it like in your geographical location?
Brown's Bog

Brown's Bog

Sunday, April 26, 2009 01:53 pm EDT
This problem has not just began. I started doing shows in 1990 and it was going on then. And yes like some of us out there, I too went a little commercial. I started with handmade jewelry and had to add the sterling silver jewelry everybody was asking for. Then I added raw gems and minerals to the outfit and this brought in other hobbists to the booth. I guess the only craft to that sort of merchandise would have been digging. To help with the overnight stays out of town, I picked outdoor shows that were close to a campground or if you were aloud to stay at your booth overnight. I found these shows were great, a little on the roughin it side, but you did sell to other vendors after hours and found wonderful friends and stories.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Sunday, April 26, 2009 03:57 pm EDT
I think it makes a bigger difference what your art or craft is now than it used to. Specialization may hurt us more these days because customers expect a variety store at every booth and because they are less interested in discovering something special . Being one-of-a-kind and original probably means more to us artists and craftsmen than it does to our public- hence my thoughts on offering additional choices while maintaining the integrity of our uniqueness. We do have to hear and try to provide what we are asked for, that is our business. And it can keep our work 'new'. I've suggested developing the secondaries or trial offerings because they can be viewed as a test for new ideas without heavy investment AND they are our own creation. But, in the case of a show that simply overbooks one category, even diversity will not help. dbledford, picking your shows to fit your criteria of need is a good suggestion. I do a lot of camp-outs as a tenter and put up with the roughin' side and it's true that there is a lot going for it. As for the 'craft of digging' don't minimize it! This is not alien to your primary craft, it's just the secondary side of it! To some people all jewelry is just jewelry, but to those who make it and buy it seriously it is the way the ingredients are used that make it important-and that's a story you can use to educate show visitors who may not realize what you have put into your work. I'd still like to hear what vendors and promoters are experiencing in other parts of the country (besides MO). Also, large population centers vs small-town and suburban venues.
Michael Attaway

Michael Attaway

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 09:35 am EDT
Here's my take on it. If you attended a festival where the demogrphics indicate, the avg. disposible income or medium income and housing are avg. to low, you will experience less customers with a flair for quality and taste. By attending events in higher demographic dollars you get more quality customers. Crafts need to tell a story and have specfic meaning to the buyer of quality. Example: 5 vendors have walking sticks, but only one vendor offers a pamplet with the stick. The pamplet tells the story about the crafter and the design for the stick and possibllly, gives the stick a numbering system, distingushing the stick in someway. You have created a special piece. something desireable to the discriminating customer. Remember your art is a one of a kind, you can't buy it in any store. your true customer wants art, something to display. And quite possibilly you could frame the autenticity paper, including a picture, with story behind the piece. I feel we as vendors get stale and expect what work yesterday will work tomorrow. But, thats not the case, dare to be different, and charge high enough for the piece. If it's to cheap, there is no value to the customer. Whatever you deciede, lowering your standards will only lower your self esteem. And you will lose your identity. Be proud of your work, and find a new marketing stratagey to sell by. Good Luck
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:09 pm EDT
And a good 'take' on the situation, indeed...it really is important to talk to your potential customer, too. I cannot emphasize interaction enough. My work is one-of-a-kind and will always be. I will always have to display my work with an explanation-Just because I know what polymer clay is doesn't mean the public does...and how many of today's browsers thought they'd ever see a handmade clay marble used in home decor? How many ever realized polymer sculpture comes before the resin is poured in China? This is naturally so with original art. ..including my barnwood signs and my mixed media art trading cards and my finest watercolors. So, you give them a history, a story of how it all came to be...and enjoy their reaction. Pricing generally has had little to do with sales for me, but if it matters more in this economy to offer REAL originals that reflect your master work at a special price (but never a SALE price) with that hand-out Mike mentioned-do it. Marbles did that for me! It's a short hop from a jar of marbles to a custom hand-sculpted music box or coin bank character design for me, but to the customer, it seems amazing. With every story I give, I collect one to use in my art. How about some input as to WHERE you get those demographics? I have my methods, how about someone else's.
Simple Wisdom, Inc.

Simple Wisdom, Inc.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:58 pm EDT
I have only done a few local craft fairs with poor results. Probably because my products are too pricey. I want to start doing high end shows but am leery of the high booth costs. Does the type of buyers at the shows have anything to do with the cost of the booth? Thanks for your input!

Stewards of the Rosedale Community, Inc.

Monday, May 4, 2009 01:08 am EDT
As one who has both set up shows for many years and shopped far too many of them, I feel pricing is definitely an issue but not in terms of pricing high quality so much as providing a broad choice of prices. I annually attend an international arts fair in one of the ten most affluent communities in the nation and even there find that the booth with original framings all in three digit range has little productive business, where conversely the one with not only originals but framed and unframed prints of his work does well. In the general public, a large number of people appreciate really good artistic products in pictures, woods, jewelry, and more but cannot take home the pricier items themselves. Addressing only the smaller percentage of population which both appreciate and can afford causes artists to miss out on a great number of sales and the attending public to regretfully have to bypass themselves owning such quality investments of beauty. I do not think top-line art products should be sold cheaply, but smaller items or prints should be made available not only for the artist-crafter's income but also for the artistic benefit of the attending public.

Stewards of the Rosedale Community, Inc.

Monday, May 4, 2009 01:18 am EDT
I do, incidentally, agree that 'handcrafted' does not mean goods made in South America, Mexico, or Southeast Asia and imported here by a wholesale company to be marketed as "handcrafted" by vendors. To include such merchandise in a supposed arts and crafts fair built of original artists displaying their own creative excellence for sale is to denegrate the quality goods and should not be allowed. If an event chooses to go there, these persons having imports rather than their own products should be segregated into a different area both to retain quality standards and to prevent undermarket items from interfering with premium booths' sales.
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Monday, May 4, 2009 11:30 am EDT
Thanks for bringing us back to my original point, rmastrawb! We have products in our booth from $5 to $100, and even include some free product as giveaways to the kids or with a purchase at appropriate venues. Our merchandising is pretty good (but can always be improved, thanks kneff & mikeattaway); our problem is with the importers & resellers, and the promoters that accept them into juries arts & craft fairs. Let them go to the "trade days" fairs where they belong! I believe it's false advertising to both vendors and the public to advertise a fair as "arts & crafts", specify in your vendor contract "handcrafted items made by the artist only" and require pictures of such, and then camp resellers and commercial sellers on either side of us. Am I mistaken?
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 12:39 pm EDT
I think there is notable agreement here that there are a lot of ingredients involved in a successful show. One of them being : there is no cut and dried formula. Since we each represent different arts and crafts we will have to use trial and error to a certain extent to find the 'right' fit. But, the support for our concerns about 'jurying in' non-originals to a show advertised as handmade arts and crafts is obvious. The public does not appreciate this false advertising either. I have had numerous complaints from seasoned show-goers in the past two or three years and can assure you these are the buyers we are all looking for. Promoters should be aware that they are losing the 'audience' that actually supports these shows when they become lax in their choices. I go to both juried and open shows, craft shows and art shows alike and find there is often little to differentiate between them. I do not think pricing booth fees high to keep the unwanted out works. (The exception is exclusively fine art and craft shows which would have to be assessed separately). I fear that the people who have much more invested in their work will be unable to do enough shows to warrant this type of venue investment. I also think we have different views on what an 'expensive' show is. To do it right we must factor in the cost of selling our product and that means the rental costs and jurying fees involved as well as the cost of materials, restocking and wages- not to mention travel costs, meals and lodging and insurance, advertising and marketing...we cannot afford to say, 'Oh, well, I don't count my time-it's just my hobby!"
Kpughdesigns

Kpughdesigns

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 08:27 am EDT
Well, I am back with some more input. I just came from a show in Ga, where I enjoyed a beautiful state park in the area. While there, I (as always) try to interject my upcoming show and work to anyone I meet. I met two different people with the following sentiment; one from Ga, one traveling from Ohio. Here is a summary of their thoughts.... We used to go to all types of events like you do, but over the years just quit going. We found that there was too much stuff like you find at Target and Walmart and other stores. We went to find things that were unique and couldn't be seen everywhere. Now I believe the buy/sell has had a great deal to do with that, but in thinking of there comments I also believe the internet holds a part in the demise of good shows. The world has shrunk . Things one used to get only once a year at a show from a particular artist, can now be ordered online at anytime.
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:16 am EDT
Y'know, kpdreams, you may have an idea with the internet. There are more and more online art galleries that are opening new categories like functional art, furniture art, and others, besides pieces that hang on a wall or sit on a pedestal. Kneff turned me on to this, and, overall, it's much cheaper, and easier on old bodies than the festival circuit. Of course, you lose something of the human interaction, but you have to balance the two somehow. I have no problem seeing the sanke eating it's tail here, though. Fewer crafters doing festivals = promoters filling spaces with what they can get = consumers looking more and more for deals instead of unique crafts = crafters unable to afford to do festivals = fewer crafters doing festivals . . . How do we break the loop?

janieintex

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 09:40 pm EDT
As you can see this is my first post. Just joined today. This past week-end we had a booth at a local festival. It was advertised as "Arts and Craft Show" Local crafters. When we got there, we, and one other crarfter , were the only "hand made" crafter. Most were selling the imported stuff you an buy at dollar stores and truck stops. It was fun and profitable for us anyway.
Kpughdesigns

Kpughdesigns

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:18 pm EDT
La, I think we will see a real change in this industry over the next few years, but I truly believe that inorder to make it work for us, we must continue to create and make our products with the most care and attention that we can. I think we get in then "trying to invent a better mouse trap" mode and our quality and focus weakens...I spent the last weekend at a show that was full of everything. It was a sister show to a nice juried show...and the quality of merchandise in the juried show was definately top notch....now I am not saying they had the same level of show they have had in the past; they didn't..but they did have a good number of quality shoppers...and that is what we need... So keep maiking your product and give it the top notch detail you can...it will be a bumpy road, but we will come out on top... a few works spoken to me at this past show...while walking to the show this past weekend, I was walking with a fellow crafter in the sister show....I mentioned that I had alot of shoppers that said they never went into the main show due to the fact they charged admission...they just shop the sister shows...His comment...but are they the people we really want anyway....a morsel for thought.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:53 pm EDT
As I've said in the past, I think we need to define who we want to sell to and then drop in the elements that are needed to reach them. You've had some great input kpdreams. I know that these 'sister'-type shows serve everyone. We just need to be in the right one. Those I am aware of are really quite successful because they actually benefit each other -the heavier saturation (and different venues) of advertising is always a plus and as vendors we can support both- "you might check with...". In the case of two on my list, they are both juried, but one is outdoors and the other is indoors. I can't imagine sacrificing quality and originality for making a sale. I don't think it's necessary to lower our standards, just look for some of the exciting new ways to present our products and our imagination-it does keep us inspired for whatever else we may encounter. Good thoughts come from good friends...k/neff

C & C's Concessions

Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:42 am EDT
I am a food vendor and have been doing this for 4 years now. This year, to date, has been awful. My complaint, question, concern etc, (for lack of a better word) is promoters do not seem to take into consideration that we do these events/festivals as a living. This is our livlihood. We invest a heap of time and money and traveling to provide these guys a professional service and product. We have to spend time researching festivals, submitting applications, and tie up our money waiting on them to accept or decline our application. We need to work every weekend possible to pay bills, so we can not submit junst one application to one festival with the hopes that we will be accepted into that one. If we are not accepted, we do not work that weekend more than likely, because it is too late to submit an application to another festival. My complaint is these promoters do not make any contact with the vendors to say if we have been accepted or not, we find out by our check clearing the bank, or I have to call them to check the status of our application. I do not understand why they will not have communication with the vendors, so that we can plan our calendars accordingly. We have had the problem of being accepted by two festivals on the same weekend - with no communication from either one of the promoters - and our check being cashed by both festivals. There is no compassion or understanding from promoters - they just refuse to refund your money because the application states that there is no refund for no shows. I believe there is a difference in 'not showing up' and communicating to a festival that you can't be there that week end because of life. Things happen beyond our control. Promoters need to realize and then remember the vendors play a huge role in making their festival a success. In these hard economic times who can afford to loose any amount of money. We depend on their honesty in these listings and when we spend the money and effort to do our part we expect to see the crowd they predicted not several thousand less, and we expect to see the number of vendors they listed not several, several more selling the same thing that you are selling, and most of the time in a much worse environment that should not pass inspection. We should not have to loos our money because we are trying to 'book our calendars' and these promoters do not communicate to us if we are accepted or not. They should understand they are not the only ones having an event that weekend and every event is limited to how many vendors they accept, therefore, we apply for differnet ones, in the hope of being accepted to one of them. I just don't understand their logic. Am I missing something somewhere? Does any one else have this problem?
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Friday, May 22, 2009 11:00 am EDT
Vicky, I've found it helpful to buy a desk-sized calendar from a local office supply store and write in the dates of festivals I've applied to, whether they responded (or when the check was cashed), print out a copy of the canceled check, attach it to a copy of the contract, and file them all in a ring binder by month. That keeps me from overbooking for any given date. I've also learned to expect a certain amount of "puffery" from the promoters concerning attendance numbers. As for others selling the same things you do, that's why it's up to the vendors to come up with new items, or new ways to market the old items. We have had a problem with a neighbor of ours that saw us selling at a festival and copied what David does, but with a substandard product. Since the public perceives 2 stickmakers from the same small town making the same item, if they buy a substandard product they may not necessarily remember the correct maker, so David had a stamp made with our logo, and stamps all his sticks before he polyurethanes them. Now, all Bear Paw sticks carry the company logo. As for promoters. they often as not organize the small festivals as volunteers, at no pay. Sometimes they sell at their own festivals, sometimes not. Their job as promoter is to advertise the festival and fill the vendor slots; some are better & more experienced, but few seem capable of seeing the festival from their vendors' point of view.
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Friday, May 22, 2009 11:03 am EDT
Oh, and you're right. In between the weather and the general economy, foot traffic has been low and sales are NOT good! We've taken a loss at every festival but one so far.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Monday, May 25, 2009 05:49 pm EDT
Vicky, I can feel your frustration! You describe it well. I'm not in your line but noted just such a complication at an event this weekend-I was listening to the volunteer event chairman(you're right about volunteers, lagrizzly) and SHE was frustrated, too. They built their event around the community and noted specifically what their youth and civic groups were going to have (hot dogs, etc.) and requested food vendors to avoid those items. To her dismay the vendor that said they were doing a chicken menu brought various sausages-too much like h.d.'s in her view and that left an advertosed menu item vacant. She was 'getting it' from the local vendors and the festival visitors as well. BUT, she had communicated with the vendor obviously. I have a real problem with those who do that thing you mentioned: SASE if you want to know if you've been accepted, checks cashed upon receipt, no refunds, etc. I can understand the policies but not the protocol that they ignore : without vendors there is no show! without vendors there will be no return visitors! And I share your feelings about dishonest #'s. There should be at the least a rough estimate that you can believe. You do get the feeling that you, the vendor, are supposed to feel grateful to them for allowing you to apply but when there is no further communication-or you have to track them down it is very difficult to feel grateful. You really have to manage your schedule a year in advance. I'd make cryptic notes about how promoters do their business as it relates to yours. If you don't like their 'formula' cross them off and tell they why. Maybe they don't realize the problems they create but if they are below your standard for booking practices then they need to lose your business. You and the promoter are equals. Remember that. As long as you give them your best with some flexibility promised you can expect the same from them. I'd suggest that when applying you mention other shows you do regularly and that you are CONSIDERING their event along with others that have the same dates, BEFORE you fill out that app with money. Mention additions or changes in your menu etc. that make them take notice. If you can speak directly to someone by all means do it and include any of the things that you have to address before you make your decision to apply. (One of them being notified of acceptance on a timely basis!) I hope you are able to resolve these things this year so that next year you can use that booking calendar and binder full of good 'stuff'! Kathleen Neff
Anita Hooten

Anita Hooten

Monday, May 25, 2009 11:12 pm EDT
This has been a problem for some time now. I live in Indiana and you rarely see "true" arts and crafts anymore. Since I was a small child, we would travel to Friendship, In two times a year for a week long flea market and muzzle loader shoot. In the past ten years it has been over run by commercial grade junk. I have noticed numbers (regarding foot traffic), seriously decreasing. And I don't believe the economy is soley to blame for this. Why travel to buy something your local dollar store sells? Now, I am a "food vendor", we sell snow cones. We wanted to get away from commercial concession stands, so we built our hut from authentic materials. Believe it or not, it has helped. I've had larger shows contact me, saying they are ready for a new, original look. Let's pray others stand up and take notice. People want to see unique items, I do anyway.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 03:25 pm EDT
I'm so glad you are getting responsive contacts because of your 'look'...and I certainly will be praying for more forward-looking venues as we all work our way out of the downward spiral! Creativity and originality are vital to making a complete statement to the public -even when they don't realize how much we, as vendors and they, as promoters put into these events.
Anita Hooten

Anita Hooten

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:27 pm EDT
I think some promoters are really trying. We were invited to attend a meeting with the chamber of commerce recently. It was exciting to hear them ask about vendors that would relate to the show. Like I mentioned before, I still come across many $ store knock offs, but perhaps the times are a changing. Did I mention I'm holding on to my optimism! :P Lots of luck this summer to all.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:04 am EDT
Yes! That is what I mean...optimism is always fueled bythings like invitations to sit in on discussions. Communication like this will benefit everyone. The C of C's are privvy to a lot of useful promotion for their events which is very beneficial. Individual promoters can be just as good but sometimes don't have cooperation from the community which is very unfortunate. What chamber is this? I think I'd like to sign on to their event!
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:09 am EDT
Oh, yes, Anita-check Vicky Clark, Pg. 2- with some vendor concerns.
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:05 pm EDT
We just did a venue in Natchitoches where the promoter was also a vendor, and went out of her way to be accomodating to everyone. Her mother ran the concession stand, and the prices were cheap! It was a nice indoor venue, and by the end of the show 39 of the 61 vendors had signed up for her Christmas show in November. That's what a good vendor can do!
Rose Squared Art Shows

Rose Squared Art Shows

Monday, June 8, 2009 07:31 pm EDT
As a NJ promoter, we ask other exhibitors to help us monitor buy/sell. We are in the middle of an issue with a crafter who another crafter buys her stuff from a wholesale show. We are going to visit the questionable exhibitor's studio to see her stock and process. We also ask exhibitors to have an artist statement and photos of them working to educate the public. It is not an easy situation to deal with but it is a very important one!
Purse Stuff - Paula

Purse Stuff - Paula

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 01:30 am EDT
Been a member here for awhile. This is my first post in this forum. This topic is one of my pet peeves. When a promoter states on the application this is hand-crafted show; then so be it. When the I sign the contract that I am handcrafted; then so be it. Every promoter should (some don't) send a complete listing of policies and rules along with the application. And I mean a complete listing. Include in your policy statements what will happen if your rules are not followed. I read your rules. When I sign and send my payment to you I have agreed to follow your rules. Now - You - the Promoter - must learn to follow your own rules. Why should this be so difficult? You wrote the rules. We agreed to them when we mailed in our check and signed the application. This is what I expect from you. Just do your job. Follow your own rules. Enforce your own policies. When an application states handcrafted only I expect the promoter to weed out the buy/sell. When an application states the offending exhibitors will be asked to remove items in question or removed from the event; then that is what I expect from the promoter. I've had promoters call me and question me about my products. I will gladly talk to, send more pictures, give references, etc. I am 100% handcrafted by me and I can prove it. Most of us can make the same statement. I can't count the times I've had shoppers come into my booth and make statements about the buy/sell and junk at a show. When a shopper questions me, an exhibitor, about the quality of the products and other exhibitors there is something wrong. I give them the promoters name and phone number and tell them to call the promoter. The promoter is the only person who can fix this and/or change this. Maybe getting the shoppers to put some pressure on the promoters will help. Maybe not :-) I have been known to write to promoters and ask for a partial refund after a show. When they don't live up to their contract I expect a partial refund. I paid the fee they wanted. I want what I paid for. When they default on their end of the contract I expect compensation. I have received partial refunds. I have received discounts on upcoming events. I have received "go jump off a bridge" letters. I have gone over one promoters head and went directly to the President of the Chamber of Commerce. That got their attention. I leave reviews on every review site I can find and I tell the truth in my review. Some promoters don't like that. Oh Well. I'm here to make a living and support my fellow craftspeople, not win a popularity contest. I figure that if I can make a couple waves with the promoter, they might get the idea that a few of us out here are serious about our contracts and serious about our businesses. It is time consuming and sometimes frustrating to write and call promoters to request a partial refund. But I do it. I figure I owe it to myself and to my fellow exhibitors. Keep fighting. Keep demanding that promoters Say What they Mean and Mean What They Say. When they don't follow their own policies & rules, then get on their case. Make a wave. Give them some food for thought. Be nice about it, but give them something to think about. They failed you. You didn't fail them. They breached their contract with you. Thank you for reading my rant. Purse Stuff - Paula www.pursestuff.com
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Thursday, July 2, 2009 08:16 am EDT
This is the very thing that is needed...a rallying point for vendors. Fulltime vendors are not hobbyists or day-sellers -they are businesses. Our contracts with promoters are rental agreements and should be as binding for them as they are for us. When they say juried...that should be our guarantee that they have reviewed and investigated (if necessary) the vendors who will fulfill their promises to the public. I feel the public should be steered to the promoter and the Chamber of Commerce with their complaints....I might even be tempted to hand them a complaint form to help them on their way. Letters to the Editor in smaller venues would have an impact as well...online and in print.
Besio Studios Metal Art & Jewelry

Besio Studios Metal Art & Jewelry

Saturday, July 4, 2009 10:57 pm EDT
I didn't sign up for any shows this year because Florida has become buy/sell and the rare fine arts show is $250 and so many requirements that I don't want to bother. I decided to do my own show this year for a local women's center as a fundraiser and its gonna be great with young local talent and unique vendors, limited category admittance, rubber duck derby and a kids village to let the parents leave their kids with security and go shopping. Its been fun so far but I'm still looking for more vendors. check out the website if you're interested www.10krubberduckderby.com
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:26 pm EDT
cbesio - Sure sounds like a great alternative to what seems to be happening...I can't get Florida on my circuit unfortunately but your concept should be looked into by others. In two past years I had a "Pre-Season Art in the Yard" show-in my own yard and I made more money than 3 previous years in a long-running local Festival! That said it all to me so I quit staying home and took my show on the road-even though I haven't ventured as far as many vendors do. I do a wide variety of venues because I do both fine art and popular craft (Original sign designs and sculpture, handmade marbles and musical sculpture for example) . I find the entry fees to be very mixed and some of my best are really small venues in small places...but over all the rates have increased because the buy/sell people either have company backing or they have a better profit margin to work with....and they never balk at the cost, and are relatively local or non-profit in nature. That makes it hard to compete. I'm interested in seeing how your show goes...let us know. Kathleen Neff/ inNOVAtions Studio - Marshfield, MO
Red.neck Chic

Red.neck Chic

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:02 am EDT
Hi! I am new to the community and this is my first post...but you all have hit on one of my biggest pet peeves! So, thank you so much for all of your input - I can't tell you how much it helps me to know that I'm not alone when I go ranting and raving to promoters and show hosts!
Arnolds' Art From the Heart

Arnolds' Art From the Heart

Friday, March 26, 2010 11:43 pm EDT
We do original paintings-then mostly sell our limited edition prints in or out of our hand-made frames-Then, I hand personalize each print for the customer while they watch. My husband and I do the art from start to finished product. Most of our shows are in the southeast. As this is our sole income, we find ourselves at all types of shows. Juried & Nonjuried. But if I get put next to "South American Flute Music" one more time at a juried show.........
Mom's Garden Mirrors

Mom's Garden Mirrors

Sunday, May 9, 2010 11:06 pm EDT
I was at the last two Austin, Tx Pecan St Festivals specifically looking at products sold, variety, booth design and layout. Booths there start at $400 for 2 days. they draw way over 100,000 in 2 days. And Austin is an affluent city; lots of young people with good jobs and no kids. I saw a lot of handmade wares and local color. It's laid out on the famous 6th street in Austin, lined for 8+ blocks with bars restaurants and shops, with the whole area blocked from traffic. To me it seems like an ideal selling environment for quality crafts. There are some booths selling commercial stuff, but mostly local and travelling crafts and arts people seem to sell there. It also has live music in the side streets and food court areas. I think a lot of us would appreciate to hear about other, high-density-buyer festivals? One vendor I chatted with cautioned against jumping into the business on the cheap, meaning going to cheap entry fee events. He found that too many lookers made up the festival goers. So is booth price a good earmark of a profitable show?