about - Global Heat, Woodinville, WA
- Genres: Live Soul/R&B spiced with Funk & BreakDance
- Spirit: Positive, cross-generational, multi-cultural, and family-friendly
- Performance Elements: 1) vocals, saxophone & flute, keyboards, guitar, bass, and drum kit; 2) break dance (optional); 3) arranged songs, as well as full improvisation based on audience-suggested topics
- Workshops: Option to add participatory workshops in: 1) Rhymes & Beats: song-writing, lyricism, free-styling; 2) Break Dance; and 3) DJ-ing 101.
- Origin: Formed in 2004; transformed in 2006 by international tour to Shanghai, China; and re-united in 2015 to work on new album & videos
Since 2005, Global Heat has thrilled diverse audiences around the world with its high-energy funky Soul/R&B spiced with b-boying. Band members have performed in over 34 countries worldwide. As a band, Global Heat has toured the Reno/Tahoe area, the Northwest U.S., and Shanghai, China. After a 5-year tour of SE Asia as a duo, Global Heat's two MCs (Justice and Professor Icee) returned to the Seattle area in 2015 and reunited with other original members to record a sophomore album with multi-Platinum producers Richard Garcia and Jay Mendez. Forging a new sound for Global Heat, they built on their prior work with Jennifer Lopez, Destiny's Child, Lady Gaga, Snoop Dogg, KRS-One, Ludacris and top Vietnamese and Korean pop bands. Global Heat has other ongoing collaborations with dancers from Dog Pound b-boy crew and the world-champion dance crew Massive Monkees, touring with Macklemore.
Global Heat members have worked with Erykah Badu, Usher, Chris Brown, Gorillaz, Kanda Bongo Man, ColdNote, Roger Fisher (co-founder of Heart), and members of Rock Steady Crew, Fraggle Rock, Massive Monkees, and MTVs ANBDC Fresh Select. Members have shared billings with Cee Lo Green (The Voice), Macklemore, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Baaba Maal, Crash Test Dummies, Blake Lewis, Method Man, Masta Killa & Inspectah Deck (Wu Tang), Living Legends, KRS-One, Lady Leshurr, and others. Global Heat's MCs have been featured on TV in NBC's HipHop Nation (USA), MTV 2 (USA), Fox's ITVNW (USA), and Today TV/SNTV (Asia), as well as recently filling the anchor DJ role on Seattle's KING5 Morning News.
Awards received by Global Heat include:
- 2011 Winner of the Jammin' Challenge, a competition featuring over 50 bands, produced by Seattle Wave Radio and Hard Rock Café
- 2012 Seattle Next 50 arts grant for The Roots of Hip Hop in Ancient Cultures, an exploration of African and Brazilian origins of Hip Hop music & dance, premiered June 2012 at Intiman Theatre, Seattle
- 2012-2013 Two Arts Crush Festival grants for featured productions
- 2013-2014 4Culture group grant for developing TRIBE-olution (a spin-off of Roots of Hip Hop).
- 2014 Artist Trust GAP project award to Global Heat & TRIBE-olution Director Rob Pastorok
- 2017 Peoples Choice award at Bellingham Music Film Festival for Global Heat's music video 'For A Lifetime.'