Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

Prints vs. Originals

Arnolds' Art From the Heart

Arnolds' Art From the Heart

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:58 pm EDT
Most promoters want us artists to sell mostly originals over prints -but in today's economy, most customers only can afford prints of your artwork. What is your opinion?
Festivalnet.Com - Asheville

Festivalnet.Com - Asheville

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 04:54 pm EDT
Great topic. I like to see exhibitors that do both. Have originals on display and prints of the same images available. You can't go wrong this way.
Michael S. Smith Graphics

Michael S. Smith Graphics

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 09:41 am EDT
I'd rather leave it up to the artist. Personally, I don't expect to sell originals at most shows and would rather display more of my prints which are reasonable priced. Many of the quality shows require 3/4 or more of the booth to be originals when I know that is not what most of the buying public will ultimately purchase. It may have been the case 20 years ago, but not in this day and age when there are so many shows, the economy is stagnant and competition for the show $$$ is so intense. I wish all promoters would realize this and leave it up to the artist rather than hold onto show rules that are mired in the past.
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 08:18 pm EDT
I can understand the mixed feelings on this one! I am with juliebird on this one. All well-attended booths have strong displays that draw the viewers in. Let your walls be your display boards for those racks filled with prints...or greeting cards of the originals. Having the originals shown off by your framing skills will sell your prints and there will be a predominant display of original art...as you are advised to adhere to. I always discuss my set up with the promoter and explain that these are not copy machine prints, but giclees which are high quality art in themselves. PLUS, I use the opportunity to explain to visitors what giclees are and that they are numbered and limited editions...which will gain in value with time. The original may not be on site every time but the story that goes with the art often sells it sooner - or later. No one leaves without a brochure, a business card or a web connection to my work. The secret is to have multiple levels of collectible art to choose from with the option to upgrade later. I even take sketches and thumbnails of work which has grown into a painting...sometimes I offer them with the sale of the finished work and sometimes I sell them separately. I think the rule IS outdated to the extent that an artist should have control over how the display handles originals WITH prints. This has to assume that the artist is not being deceitful about a good balance. A very good photo of your display usually has a good effect.
Margezprintz

Margezprintz

Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:12 pm EDT
This is not in keeping with the topic, but perhaps you can tell me if the photos uploaded here are secure? I do photography and would like to know that they can't be downloaded. Thank YOu.

Cheyennes' School of Creative Art

Thursday, July 14, 2011 07:53 pm EDT
Yes, yes, yes, they can be easily downloaded and stolen from you.

Cheyennes' School of Creative Art

Thursday, July 14, 2011 08:12 pm EDT
To keep your art and photographs from being stolen, download small files. This way they may steel them but can't use them. Keep the resolution low, and as I said small files.