Are you:

Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .
Please call us 800-200-3737 or send an .

Ozark Hills Crafts

Thursday, February 19, 2009 09:40 am EST
Many years ago, I used to do shows & I found that unless you know a show is worthwhile, you can lose $$ or just break even with the entry fees, motel, gas, etc. I was surprised at how few of the shows were rated and how old the ratings were. Why don't more crafters write about the shows?? Also, I think it would be helpful if you knew what athe artist was selling---sometimes shows are good for some crafts, but not others.

marilyn williams

Thursday, February 19, 2009 07:00 pm EST
i agree....my sister and i are new in this field...this fall was the first time we did craft shows...we find, finding a show is not easy...and when we get there, it is a fles market...not what we are looking for...now in this site i found a list for craft shows and now i cant find it... just a small remark...

[removed]

Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:32 am EST
I agree, we have been doing shows for many years and it still can be a total gamble. Help us all out, if you have done a listed show, tell us what you know. Try to include what you see, not hear. I would be helpful to know what items sell, if it is more of a festival beer drinking crowd or an art buying crowd etc. Also helpful is to know how the set up is. I have done shows that were disasters as far as getting set up and torn down. I also have been trying to have some way when a rate is left that I (we) could contact that person for more info on that particular show. If that sounds like a good idea, suggest it to festivalnet. they are great at trying to do what we need done.

Elleni's Studio

Thursday, February 26, 2009 09:09 pm EST
It will be interesting to see how this works with people from all over the country on festivalnet. I am from South Carolina and do shows here, North Carolina and Georgia. Shows are always a gamble and we go in hoping for the best. We did a really sorry one last weekend and I did leave a rating for it.
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Friday, March 13, 2009 02:46 pm EDT
We're newbies at this festival/selling game, also. We've tried to adopt a positive attitude even when sales are slim-nonexistant by making sure we talk to other vendors around us about other potential venues. We have recently walked away with no sales, but a wealth of suggestions from customers, promoters, and especially other vendors. David & Lisa Brown at Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs
Metal & Wood Creations

Metal & Wood Creations

Friday, March 13, 2009 07:43 pm EDT
Hey All. You'll never know what will sell day to day. I saw a lady that strung beads collected from different states. A jeweler walked up and bought about $1200 worth of her stuff. He's in a professional shop and told her he would mark it up three times and sell it like hot cakes. I've seen a lot of exhibitors sit and read a book at shows. It's not ironic that those same folks have a sad look on their face packing up the last day. You're already gambling, chasing a dream, so the positive attitude might just show up on the receipt book/
Innovations Studio

Innovations Studio

Sunday, March 15, 2009 02:22 pm EDT
Here's a big thumbs up on this observation and let it be known I've been chasing my dream for 40 years and I still get something from everything I do...many times AFTER a show is long over! I've had people save a business card and call me for a special order 10 years after the show...Know what? I remember talking to them, too. Interaction with visitors who may not be today's customer can make a sale on down the road...and how rewarding it is that they remember ME!

randyinaloha

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:37 am EDT
Hello all, I am new here so don't bite me. Have sold at Sat. Market maybe 30 yrs. ago so don't remember. Is there a regular fee for table/booth size now or is it a percentage? Does this fee cover town licenses? > an old guy wondering...
Metal & Wood Creations

Metal & Wood Creations

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 04:58 pm EDT
Everyone who wanders is not lost, old guy. I've never heard of a % deal on booths. Whoever runs the venue would never cover their costs that way. To iterate kneff- if I got paid for every word spoken at a show I'd be "rich as Roosevelt". So many people don't actually make anything anymore, and a lot of your interaction will be educational. In any situation, you are either the teacher or the student. When you can hold a person's attention to tell them how you do your thing, sales usually come on their own. Ditto on the cards. Pass them out like candy OR pass out candy too! Everyday is either Christmas or Halloween....have fun.....
Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Bear Paw Sticks & Staffs

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 05:44 pm EDT
Business cards have been one of our most cost-effective advertising methods. Also, festival schedules for the 2009 season have been popular, and led directly from contact made at one festival making a sale or three at the next festival. We've also had promotors comment that the festival schedules we pass out are great advertising for the festivals we sell at. And, randyinaloha, the only thing I bite is food! Speak out! Ask questions! Type answers! Don't be afraid!
Kpughdesigns

Kpughdesigns

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 07:57 pm EDT
I have found a book requesting e-mail address' has become a very helpful tool. Especially if they bought at the show..they are potential future customers...so when I will be in the area I send them a notice and when I update my online store with new merchandise I let them know as well. It has been very helpful