Make the most of your online store! In this month's article, we'll go over some tips for getting your online store noticed.
Check out other FNO Marketplace sellers' shops for inspiration, and remember, it's free to list your products with FNO!
If there are any particular topics you'd like to see covered here, or if you'd like to contribute an article to the FNO newsletters - drop us a line!
FNO Newsletter Editor
Making Your Online Store Stand Out
by Jackie Bagwell
Independent shops online have become very common in the world of buying and selling, so it's important to be sure your shop stands out from the pack. Here are a few tips on making sure your shop is seen and remembered online:
- Position yourself. Write down clearly who you are and what you do, and use this as a reference for your decision making. Don't be afraid to go niche: if you are the premiere wood-carved necklace crafter in Indiana, say so, and live up to it.
- Choose Your Products. Choose products that fit your positioning. You might sell leather cuff bracelets in your offline jewelry shop, but decide your focus in your online store to keep it simple and branded. Also, be conservative and choose your best selling or most unique, hard to find products. Your product mix can help you differentiate yourself online, so choose wisely and don't be afraid to make a statement.
- Engage your customers. Allow them to send feedback on products.
- Use your blog to get your customers interested. Have an interesting backstory on your product? Want to give your customers some insight into how it's made? The more intriguing you can make your product, the more your customers will want it.
- Brand your shop. Give yourself a name and common colors/graphic even in your online store so that people will easily recognize your brand.
- Make it personal. It never hurts to remind your customers that they're supporting a real life, independent craftsperson. Send your items with a little thank you note, or even a small free gift. This kind of consideration is always noticed by the customer, and they'll be more likely to want to support you again in the future by ordering again, or referring you to a friend.
Taking some extra steps to help your online business stand out will definitely pay off for your store. For more helpful tips for selling online, be sure to check out some of our previous articles on How to take good product photos and How to write attention-grabbing product descriptions
Let Us Pay You!
Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, and we'd like to thank you for spreading the word about FNO. You could be earning extra cash just by referring fellow vendors or festival participants to FNO
Quick info about our affiliate program:
Be sure to hand people your business card or a custom FNO Affiliate Flyer when you refer them to be sure you get credit when they join as a Pro Member. If you want to learn more, go here - where you can print your own flyers to hand out (to do this, you must have an affiliate number, all Pro Members automatically have one, if you are a free member, you must request one).
- We pay $5 for each new pro member you send our way.
- We pay quarterly via Paypal.
- You may apply your affiliate credit towards next year's renewal.
- Referrals can come in via word of mouth or through special tracking links you use in emails or online.
Featured FNO Seller: